Sunday, January 3, 2010

Awards. Marriage.














I really enjoyed reading everyone's scenes. You guys seriously rock! And of course, thank you for all of your warming comments and thank you Frankie for hosting the event!!!

Yesterday, during the midst of reading everyone's scenes I received two awards that I shall pass along this morning.

1) The Blogging Writer Award was given to me by Courtney Reese. Thank you Courtney!

I think Frankie deserves this award for giving us a day filled with excitement and steamy almost kisses.


2) Even though I already received the Honest Scrap Award, I would still like to give a big shiny thank you to Michele Emrath for passing it along to me!!

- Kimberly Franklin
- Bish Denham
- Simone Ogilvie

All three of you deserve this award!

Make sure to check out these blogs, they're some talented ladies here!!!


As some of you may already know, I am currently editing my WIP. The editing stage is a pesky one. It almost hurts me to cut out so many parts that I spent endless hours writing and to change idea's that I once thought were so fantastic.

Sigh.

My brother, George, gave me some much needed advice about this matter. He isn't a writer but he is an artist. He loves his work the same way I love my writing, so he understood when I told him how I felt about changing my story and the process of editing. His advice?

Don't get married to your piece.

I pondered on what he said and loved his simple, yet, brilliant advice. He is right. Sometimes as writers we grow close to our piece and think it is brilliant, that it needs no changes when really it does. We have to be willing to make changes, to adjust, to move on from a certain scene or even cut it out if needed.

We cannot marry our piece.

Since then, when I hit that angry little delete button or his best friend backspace, I think of my brother's advice and realize that this is needed, this will only get me closer to where I want to be.

So bloggers, is the editing process easy for you? Do you cut whatever needs to be cut without hesitation? Or does it take you awhile before pressing those annoying, yet needed buttons?



The End of a Beautiful Day

Change isn't always a bad thing. Let's trust our instincts and be willing to go in the direction our imagination takes us.

13 comments:

Nicole Settle said...

Ack! I'm currently in the editing process and it is brutal. But I wrote a post not too long ago about rough drafts and how they can be absolutely horrible. The magic for me happens in the editing. It's the most challenging part but also incredibly rewarding. Good luck in your editing!

Mary E Campbell said...

Congrats on more awards. Great advice - your brother is very wise.

Tana said...

Editing. I have a love, hate relationship with that beast. I can't help getting married to the piece. I know I shouldn't but it always feels so right. ;)

Kelly Lyman said...

This is SO true! I'm having a hard time cutting stuff out...my problem is, I know that scenes need to be cut, I'm just not sure which ones. Does that even make sense. I know changes need to be made, I just don't know where to start. It may start with my MC name...it's been bothering me from the beginning and I have an idea right now which could change the storyline, or bits of it. Hmmmm....

Bish Denham said...

Thanks Victoria! I too have already gotten this award, but I will mention that you have nominated me for it!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Thanks for the award! I love getting awards, they are so inspiring to me. (Some might be wondering if I'm crazy, and really I'm starting to wonder myself.) I have a few I need to pass on myself...it's just going to be so hard to choose.

As for the rest of your post, on not marrying your piece...I completely agree. Editing out the parts you love and worked so hard on is the worst part. Ever! I read another great blog post on this once by Daisy Whiteny. You should check it out.

I can't find the exact link right now, but I'm sure it's on her website somewhere. www.daisywhitney.com. She's fantastic!

Thanks again, and good luck with your edits!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Yay Victoria! Congrats on the award and thank you for passing it to me!!! So glad you enjoyed the no kiss fest and your brother gave some good advice. Aaaah revising, can't wait to be done!!!!

Jade said...

It used to be hard but not anymore. When I do my first serious edit, I highlight stuff I think might need to go. Then when I do my next round of edits I consider the highlighted stuff. If it's still not doing it for me it goes. I cut over 10k out of the last draft of Charms.

Jody Hedlund said...

Ah, very wise advice Victoria! Sometimes a little "separation" will help us come back to that MS without so much affection! At least that's what always helps me hit the delete but with more ease!

Natalie said...

With the first manuscript I wrote revision was really painful. I've since gotten a little better at hacking away when it's necessary. Your brother is a smart man.

Katie Ganshert said...

Congrats on the awards!

I agree with Jody. I find that the more distance and time I give myself from my ms, the easier it is for me to cut those scenes that I poured my heart into but aren't good for the story.

You bro is a smart dude. :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

my agent just made me cut 15000 words - you're right. dont marry your work. Just date it and then you may have to move on.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I actually love the editing process. It's fun to chip away and see a story become sharper.