Friday, January 15, 2010

Answers!!

I have been incredibly busy these past few days with school, my college's magazine, and overcoming this pesky cold. It has been one hectic ride! Thank you for your warm wishes to get well, they helped, my cold is gone! I can finally smell and taste again!!! I received a lot of questions and all of them rocked, so here are the answers, enjoy!


Emma Michaels
asked, What was the hardest part of writing Bloodstone?

Writing Bloodstone was a rush that never ended. It was an incredible release and relief for me to have it all out and down on paper. The scenes and words flowed easily but if I had to pick the hardest part it would definitely be capturing the essence of Drake's (my MC) best friend. He is a very important character, but he is tricky and difficult. I wanted to portray him perfectly, exactly how he is in my head. It was a bit of a task that I have yet to accomplish the way I want it to be.

Stephanie Thornton asked, What is your favorite indulgence?

Yikes. Well, a trip to Barnes and Noble really lifts my mood. Seriously, I can spend hours upon hours in there, order coffee and spend a few more hours. Long car rides relax me and help me think clearly, too. So it's a draw between Barnes and Noble and car rides.

Mary Campbell asked, I would like to know if you've been writing all of your life and if you're in college now?

I have been writing and telling stories since I can remember. When I was younger I would picture scenes in my head and write them down with illustrations and all! I am in my second year of college at Miami Dade. Next year I will be transferring to either UCF or FIU.

Kimberly Franklin asked, How's Drake doing? He's so...dreamy!

Drake is in the middle of a sticky situation but I will tell him you said hello :)

Candice asked, What was the first story you remember writing?

The first thing I ever wrote was a story titled, Miss Lady Bug. Miss Lady bug traveled through many magical lands in search of her Mr. Lady Bug. She found him in the end. I was around six when I wrote it and I still have it stashed away in my room.

Bish Denham asked, When did you start to write and why?

I started to write for pure fun because I liked to tell stories. I always had images in my head and Drake was always there, telling me his story, so I wrote it down. It was instinct in a way. It just always felt right to write.

Bethany Mattingly asked, My question is for Drake...If you could have the perfect day with one special person who would you choose and what would you do?

Amber and I used to spend our late afternoons and early Saturday and Sunday mornings in her tree house. We would read The Chronicles of Narnia all day. We would imitate the characters and then run in the yard, pretending we were in Narnia. I still laugh when I think about it, and even though that would be a perfect day, to go back in time with her, back to when things were better, even normal, it wouldn't be my first choice.

I would want to meet my mother. It doesn't matter where...just to be able to meet her. We wouldn't do much but talk and maybe have some of my questions finally answered by someone I hope that I can trust. Then, maybe take a trip to Narnia.

Tricia J. O'Brien asked, My question is for Drake: Did Victoria dream you or did you dream her? (Translation if I confuse you--when and how did Drake first enter your consciousness?)

Drake:I think we dreamed each other. It was like we were two magnets, pulling to find one another, to be intact, and when we finally came together, there was no force that could pull us apart.

Me: I don't remember when Drake first came to me. It was so long ago. I have journals from when I was younger filled with letters written to him and scenes where I write his life out. Almost every story I have written as a child, leading up to now, has him somewhere in there. He has been apart of me since I can remember, always talking to me and showing me his life, his story. I thank God for sending me him.

Natalie Bahm asked, What was your favorite book (or just one you really liked) in junior high school and why?

It would probably be Harry Potter. I was obsessed!

Kristi asked, My question is...where do you find all of the gorgeous artwork you post on your blog? I adore it...you always have something beautiful on here!

Photo bucket! :)

Kelly asked, What was the first concert you ever went to?

It was a Stevie Nicks concert in Vegas. She is so inspirational and original. I lover her music. It was my parents idea to go, though, I was pretty young but I still enjoyed her music and amazing performance.

Simone asked, fame or fortune?

Fortune. I would want to give back to my dad as a way of saying thank you, for giving me so much.

Julie Dao asked, What are the perfect conditions for you to write in? (i.e. setting, time, food, music)

When I sit down to write I always give myself a moment of silence to pray and connect with my characters before I dive into their lives. I can write anywhere but for some reason inspiration always hits when I am in my room with my door closed and a good song playing.


JM Diaz asked, What makes you want to buy a book? the cover? the author (name or picture)? the blurb?

I like to give authors a chance. I have my favorites but I like to explore new authors. I usually read the first chapter before I make a decision. If I am still hooked after the first chapter I buy it. A pretty cover helps, too :)

T. Anne asked, Do you have just one genre you want to stick to? If not what's the list?

I love YA. I can't see myself writing for any other genre.

Eva asked, Chocolate or vanilla?

Definitely vanilla!!

Arlee bird asked, Do you tend to remember your dreams and do they ever influence your writing?

I usually remember my dreams as soon as I wake up and throughout the day they vanish, start to slither away from my mind. There has been a couple of dreams that have influenced my writing in ways that still leave me in awe. I wrote a post about a dream where my MC visited me, you can read it here.

Diego Molano asked, Would you ever sacrifice the integrity of your story to land a major book deal?

No, I wouldn't. My story means too much to me and I couldn't do that to Drake.

Also, what do you want your cover to look like? I have a feeling a photograph sort of cover would be better than an illustration or painting no?

I have so many visions for my cover (if my book were ever to be published). I usually picture more of a photograph than an illustration or painting, but who knows? The possibilities in the future are endless!

Karen Hooper
asked, What's your all time fav Blue October song? They are in my top 3 fav bands and I love that they are on your playlist.

I have to say Congratulations. I love that song. It always makes me smile and picture such invigorating, breath taking images in my head.





Thanks for all of your questions!! Have a happy Wensday :)

17 comments:

Tina Lynn said...

Wow. I guess I missed a lot while I was away. Thanks for letting me get to know you better. You, too, Drake:)

Bish Denham said...

What a great way to have an interview and to learn so much too! I'm particularly happy to learn about Photobucket. I know I could get lost wandering around the site.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Thanks for sharing! We missed you (and Drake). : )

Hav a great day!

Kelly Lyman said...

I loved reading these questions and your answers. It was fun "getting to know you" a bit better!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love opportunities to get to know each other better. That was quite a list of questions! Thanks for answering them all and being so open to sharing. :)

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

I like this a lot and it is fortune for me too I also like your vanilla answer even if my sister as launched the 'say no to vanilla' campaign here in Ontario.
This was So fun.
Warm regards,
Simone

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

barnes and noble is my fav place too. :)

Tana said...

Isn't that funny that a writers favorite place to get away and relax is a bookstore? I could live in one and be quite happy!

BK Mattingly said...

Great answers! Thanks for answering mine!

Eva said...

Vanilla huh. I'm all for chocolate myself. I got to know you a little bit with this. Great post.

Oh, and I will be one of the first people in line to buy Bloodstone when it comes out. I get an autographed copy right? :)

Anonymous said...

Harry Potter Obsession for the WIN!! ;) lol

JournoMich said...

What a fantastic idea for a post! Great way to get your readers involved. And it was fun getting to know you a little better. I didn't realize you had completely finished your MS! Way to go! DId you do that recently and I missed it, or did you do it a long time ago and I just hadn't noticed? Either way, let me pass along the Writer's Know award to you. I will post it officially on my blog tomorrow. It is an award I created for writers who finish their manuscripts. It is called the "Writers Know" because only other writers know how hard you worked to get where you are--the end!

Congrats.

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

Eva said...

Just tagged you on my blog. Loved this idea.

BK Mattingly said...

I have awards for you at my blog! Because you're just that awesome!

Kasie West said...

My favorite indulgence is going to a bookstore as well. :) Fun answers. I love it when people ask characters a question (and I love that he answered) that makes me laugh.

JournoMich said...

The award is officially posted! Check it out on my blog.

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Now that was a truly awesome list of questions and answers!